Within Glasgow Primary School good attendance is encouraged at all times and children rewarded accordingly. Parents are asked to contact the Pupil Absence Reporting Line on 0141 287 0039 if their child is going to be absent. This should be done before 9.30 on the first day of absence. If the child is going to be absent for some time, it would be helpful to know at the earliest opportunity. The school uses daily text messaging to inform parents of their child’s absence if no contact is made. All unexplained absence is investigated by the school and appropriate action taken.
The Pupil Absence Reporting Line (PARL) service has been created to provide an efficient flexible way for parents/carers to report absence. It is recognised that in some circumstances, for example, to report or discuss a sensitive issue, you may still require to speak directly with the school. The following guidance should be applied:
Please phone the Pupil Absence Reporting Line to report the following absences:
- Sickness absence: if the absence lasts more than one day, parents and carers are required to call on subsequent days to provide an update. A letter should be provided to the school when the child returns from their absence.
- Medical or dental appointments: Parents and carers should call the PARL to report absences for medical or dental appointments. The school requires a letter or appointment card as evidence of the appointment to ensure permission is given to be absent from class.
Please phone the school directly to report the following absences:
To make sure you receive the right support you require, parents and carers should still contact the school directly to report absences of a sensitive or personal nature, for example:
- Serious illness, for example, an absence which is going to last more than one week
- Injury, for example, broken limb
- Contagious diseases or illness
The pupil absence service is provided by a dedicated team of experienced Education support staff. The information you provide to the team is updated in the school’s system when you call, so that we are immediately aware of all absence information.